November 12, 2019 Your Source for Brentwood News

2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup opening party at Q’s Billiard Club in Brentwood

FIFA LogoA viewing party for the United States’ opening game in the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup will be held today at Q’s Billiard Club in Brentwood.

The opening kickoff of the Group D game against Australia from Winnipeg, Manitoba, is set for 4:30 p.m. The game will be televised in English by cable’s Fox Sports 1 and in Spanish by NBC Universo.

The party at the bar at 11835 Wilshire Blvd. is organized by the Santa Monica chapter of American Outlaws, a nationwide support group for the U.S. men’s and women’s national soccer teams.

The U.S. is second in the rankings compiled by FIFA, soccer’s international governing body, behind Germany. Australia is ranked 10th.

The U.S. is 22-0-2 against Australia, has outscored the Matildas, 83-20, and allowed one or fewer goals in 20 of the 24 games.

The U.S. is 4-0-2 in Women’s World Cup openers.

The U.S. has a 68 percent chance of winning, Australia a 13 percent chance and there is a 19 percent chance the game will end in a tie, according to FiveThirtyEight.com, the ESPN-owned website that analyzes data related to politics, economics, science, life and sports.

Each team plays three games in group play, with the top two advancing to the 16-team single-elimination portion of the tournament, along with the four best third-place teams among the six groups.

The 23-player U.S. roster includes seven players who played on the high school or college level in Los Angeles or Orange counties — defender Whitney Engen (Peninsula High School); midfielders Shannon Boxx (South Torrance High School) and Lauren Holiday (UCLA); and forwards Sydney Leroux (UCLA); Alex Morgan (Diamond Bar High School); Christen Press (Chadwick School); and Amy Rodriguez (Santa Margarita High School, USC).

All but one of the U.S players play in the National Women’s Soccer League, now in its third season. The one exception is forward Abby Wambach, who played in the league in its first two seasons, but is not playing in it this year to concentrate on preparations for the World Cup.

Four Australian players play in the NWSL — defender Stephanie Catley, midfielder Katrina Gorry; and forwards Caitlin Foord and Samantha Kerr. All the rest play for Australian club teams.

in Sports
Related Posts

Brentwood Run is Back After 10 Years

May 28, 2019

May 28, 2019

By Keldine Hull  It’s time to lace up your sneakers! After a 10-year hiatus, the popular Brentwood Run returns to...

Brentwood Lacrosse Gears Up for Playoffs

April 30, 2019

April 30, 2019

Eagles continue to play solid lacrosse  By Chad Winthrop  As their regular season comes to a close, the Brentwood High...

L.A. Marathon to Run Through Brentwood This Weekend

March 21, 2019

March 21, 2019

By Chad Winthrop On Sunday, March 24, runners from all around the world will lace up their kicks and participate...

Edify TV Video: Hijab American Ninja Warrior

January 22, 2019

January 22, 2019

By Edify TV Learn about Sara Mudallal, a local parkour extraordinaire and the first hijabi to compete in an American...

Edify TV Video: Courthouse Skate

November 6, 2018

November 6, 2018

By Edify TV The West Los Angeles Courthouse is a historical landmark for skating but its future is in jeopardy...

Brentwood School Baseball Finishes Strong

May 2, 2018

May 2, 2018

At the Brentwood School on April 26, 2018 as Brentwood hosted Sierra Canyon High School in a gold coast league...

Brentwood School Baseball Defeats Windward 4-3

April 30, 2018

April 30, 2018

The Brentwood School Varsity baseball team defeated Windward School on Brentwood’s home turf on April 12, with a 4-3 victory....

This Saturday, You Can Bring Your Dog to Dodger Stadium

April 10, 2018

April 10, 2018

Dog-owning lovers of the L.A. Dodgers don’t have to prioritize their passions this week. At long last, Dodgers Stadium has...

Brentwood Sports

March 24, 2018

March 24, 2018

Brentwood Girls CIF Basketball Champs The Brentwood High Girls varsity basketball team defeated Foothill Technology 55-53 to win the CIF-SS...

Archer Champions Celebrate!

February 21, 2018

February 21, 2018

In a series of firsts, Archer School For Girls won its first ever CIF volleyball championship and one student became...

2018 Genesis Open Gate Times, Parking and Transportation

February 14, 2018

February 14, 2018

Prior to heading to The Riviera Country Club for the 2017 Genesis Open, fans are encouraged to stay up to...

Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) Announces 2018 Preseason Schedule

January 17, 2018

January 17, 2018

Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) today announced its full 2018 preseason schedule, which includes three matches in Los Angeles and...

Tiger Woods to Play in Genesis Open For First Time Since 2006

January 5, 2018

January 5, 2018

Tiger Woods announced today that he will play in the 2018 Genesis Open to be held February 12-18 at The Riviera Country...

Archer Marches on With State Volleyball Playoff Win

November 16, 2017

November 16, 2017

In a milestone-making moment, the victory marks the school’s first ever state playoff win in any sport. The Archer School...

Racial Grafitti Sprayed on Lebron James’ Brentwood Home

June 1, 2017

June 1, 2017

Racial graffiti was spray-painted on the front gate of NBA star LeBron James’ home in the Brentwood area overnight, and...

Comments
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *